How to Report a Problem

Have you seen an issue at an Iowa kennel that you want to report? Have you purchased a sick puppy? We have many people asking us how to report these types of problems. Below are instructions on how to report an issue in several different situations.

Complaint About a Petstore or Breeder

  • The Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship (IDALS) is charged with the oversight of petstores and licensed breeders. Use this form to file a complaint. It must include specifics; date, time and description of your complaint. Use concise and direct language. DO NOT provide emotional conjecture or judgements.

Complaint If You Believe Someone Is Operating Without a License

  • Use this form to contact the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship (IDALS) if you think someone is operating a kennel without a license.

Complaint About the Health of a Puppy You’ve Purchased

  • We recommend that the following agencies be contacted regarding the purchase of a sick puppy:
    • Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship – The state veterinarian, David Schmitt, DVM, should be made aware of significant health issues afflicting puppies sold to the public.
    • The Iowa Veterinary Medical Association should also be made aware of significant health issues associated with pets sold to the public by petstores and others. Contact info is included in the link.
    • The Iowa Attorney General’s office should be made aware of petstores and others who are distributing sick puppies. The Consumer “Private Right of Action” law which went into effect July 1, 2009 provides better protection for consumers, including consumers who end up with a sick puppy. In cases where the consumer wins, the court must award reasonable court costs, which means the consumer isn’t held responsible for costs… the seller is! Go here to learn more.
    • Last, but definitely not least, please share your story with us. We’re gathering this information to help us with our efforts in the Capitol. The legislators need to hear about this significant consumer protection issue. Please send us an email at Thank you!